21 July 2010

Today's listening is:

Digitonal - Be Still My Bleeping Heart: A Digitonal Retrospective (Just Music - TAO035)





Was recommended this CD by Nuutti (aka Dcom) @ The Nursery.
It's the most beautiful piece of music I've heard in a long time. I had never heard of Digitonal before and apparently this CD is "a remastered collection of older, rare Digitonal material", which obviously leads me onto a googling frenzy. Nothing beats the feeling of discovering a yet unheard artist with a big reservoir of releases.

Anyways, the music itself is a mixture of electronica and classical. This might not be something groundbreaking, but as far as I know the usual is for artists to work with samples whereas Digitonal actually play the instruments themselves. This results in a warmer and more vivid element of classical music than what I have heard before.
I started writing about every song on the CD, but I won't even though most deserve it.. But really, if you like Plaid, (early) Autechre, Arovane, Bola etc. you really must check out this compilation. A good starting point would be "Cantus V" which is one of the darker and more "dissonant" (a al Plaid) songs. "Snowflake Vectors" is also a gateway with its more classic 90s Warp sound, or "Maris Stella" featuring Kirsty Hawkshaw of Opus 3.

I am off to hunt down the rest of their back catalogue now, you go listen below:



Order the CD here
Or do like me, buy the MP3s for instant gratification

Additional info:
Digitonal webpage
Digitonal discogs

No comments:

Post a Comment